Sixth Grade | Seventh Grade | Eighth Grade
The distinguishing feature of middle school is its departmentalized approach to teaching and learning.
- Teachers specialize in various fields of learning and students study in-depth the basic field for which six years of elementary education has prepared them.
- The curriculum promotes students to focus and mature in their thinking process and allow them to develop into self directed learners.
- Independent study assignments, reports and activities permit students to utilize the resources available to them in seeking out knowledge.
- The use of the Internet and web are an important part of the curriculum for student research and learning.
- Students discover the conventions of independent learning in a variety of fields. They are given further opportunities to interact with their environments and to make the transition to individualized work.
- Scientific inquiry and investigation approach to teaching.
- Innovation and discovery is the objective of all labs conducted.
- Use of technology for reinforcing concepts learned in the class, assessment and project development.
- Demonstrations of dissection process.
- Specimen lab
- Group work and power-point presentations.
- Focus on the world and US history.
- Constitution test in 7th grade to fulfill state graduation requirement.
- Studies to comprehend the civic responsibilities and the working of the government in which they live.
- Integrated studies of law and geography provide a forum for critical thinking about civilization and culture.
- How Islam relates to the everyday life of communities across the world.
- Roles of Muslims in American society today.
- Discussion on current events making headlines. Their causes and effects and consequences.
- Use of technology to research and present.
- Virtual and actual field trips for better concept forming.
- Bold and thought provoking discussions leading to critical thinking and analysis.
Reading & Language Arts
- Stress is placed on new vocabulary formation, writing and grammar.
- Practice on different writing styles demonstrating precise and logical thought process.
- Extensive sampling of various literary genre including classical and award winning novels and other literary works.
- Researching and deciphering author’s purpose and use of symbols or metaphor.
- Accelerated Reading program for average to advance readers.
- Availability of multimedia and web resources to research.
- Setting up and measuring quarterly goals in vocabulary gains and comprehension of complex thoughts through MAPS assessments conducted twice per year.
- Individualized math progress through Accelerated Math.
- Daily math practice and reviews
- Star Math quarterly assessments